Friday, October 2, 2009

Now, Now Every Children - Cars

I fixed my speakers! It was as easy as opening them up, finding what looked like a loose wire of some sort, reconnecting it, and BAM! I can listen to music again. What a relief! I really didn't want to spend money on new ones.

Today's Album: Now, Now Every Children - Cars

Genre: Indie Rock
Released: due February 10, 2009
Running time: 11 tracks, 38:30
In a nutshell: Dynamic female-fronted indie rock

This band is new to me only in the sense that I haven't listened to them before. Their formula is instantly familiar, and very enjoyable, even if it's not very interesting. Now, Now Every Car is your typical girl-fronted indie rock band; feminine without being effeminate, heavy without weight, light without delicacy. Definitely listen to this if you're into Metric, or maybe Tegan and Sara, and don't mind sacrificing their hooks for a little bit of spirit.

I think I'm onto something there. I couldn't really say why I like this album at first; the crunchy guitars, tight beats, and silky smooth vocals are consistent to the point of being a bit dreary. I think it's a matter of spirit. This kind of stuff will really hit the spot if you're in the mood, and I think there may be a good deal of substance to explore in the lyrics.

The most interesting moments on the album come when the band plays the 'adorable/quirky' card. My favorite track is We Know Martha Webber, a song with heavy keyboards and oddball lyrics; I'll ask my friends on the internet / if twenty-five cents is cause for excitement...
I could picture this band doing a suburban-epic sort of album, like the Arcade Fire's Funeral. Such an undertaking would require a little more BANG! out of them, but I think the format would work.

No comments:

Post a Comment